Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from and courtesy of Chef Chloe, Joans Food Wanderings
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup soy or rice or almond milk (or you can use whole dairy milk to make it non-vegan)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream (frosting, recipe below)
- fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced (garnish)
- powdered sugar (topping)
How to Cook
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12 cups) cupcake pans with 14 cupcake liners.
In a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk the dry ingredients together. In another bowl, mix the oil, milk, vinegar, vanilla extract and coffee until smooth. Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and using a hand whisk, mix until just combined. Do not over mix it.
Fill the liners with the batter about 2/3 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs sticking to it. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
NON-VEGAN SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled overnight
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Beat the cream with a mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar, then the vanilla extract and mix well. Increase the speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form. Chill for 15 minutes before using. Frost the cupcakes.
Note: You may also use Cool Whip Topping to make the frosting vegan.